Bread and Butter Pickles – Flex Batch
Sweet, crunchy and full of flavor. Start with fresh cucumbers and Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix and you’re there. It has never been easier to make this traditional favorite.
You will need:
For every 4 pints or 2 quarts of pickles:
3 1/2 lbs pickling cucumbers (about 14 small to medium)
2 1/2 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup McCormick Pickling Spice
1 Tbsp. Turmeric Powder
Prepare Bread & Butter Pickles
1. CUT ends off cucumbers. Cut into 1/2 inch slices.
2. COMBINE vinegar, sugar, Turmeric Powder, and McCormick Pickling Spice in a medium saucepan. Heat to a boil.
3. PACK based on ENJOY NOW or FRESH PRESERVE steps below.
ENJOY NOW (Refrigerate up to 3 months):
1. POUR hot pickling liquid over cucumber slices in a large bowl. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
2. PACK cucumber slices into jars. Ladle pickling liquid over cucumbers. Place lids & bands on jars.
3. REFRIGERATE pickles. For best flavor, allow pickles to stand in refrigerator for 3 weeks.
FRESH PRESERVE (Store up to 1 year):
1. PREPARE canner, jars, and lids according to manufacturer’s instructions.
2. PACK slices into hot jars. Ladle hot pickling liquid over slices leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight.
3. PROCESS in boiling water canner for 10 minutes for pints or 15 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude*. For best flavor, allow pickles to stand for 4-6 weeks.
*Increase processing time: 5 minutes for 1,001 to 3, 000 ft; 10 minutes for 3,001 to 6,000 ft; 15 minutes for 6,001 to 8,000 ft; 20 minutes for 8,001 to 10,000 ft.